John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ shares with you the 10 vegetables that grow themselves in his desert garden every summer season.
In this episode, you will learn the easiest, most heat tolerant vegetables you can grow with rising temperatures in 100+ degrees heat that grow without issue and produce nutritious food for you, your family, and your community.
First, John will share more about the crops that he grows in his garden including transplants but also many volunteers that grow on their own without his intervention.
You will learn the specific vegetables that reseed on their own and grow without any work from John the gardener, and how he has lots of food to eat from these plants that grow themselves without any care.
You will discover the 10 crops that easily grow themselves every year in John’s summer garden.
Jump to the following parts of the Episode:
00:00 Episode Start
00:20 Vegetables that Grow in the Heat
01:15 What these crops need to grow: Almost nothing
02:10 Why You should plant these as a farmer
02:53 Start of 10 plants to grow in the extreme desert heat
03:02 Wild Spinach – Lambsquarter
04:28 Britton Shiso
05:25 Water Pepper
06:22 Black Nightshade – Edible Berries
10:17 Cat Mint aka Catnip
11:20 Jewel of Opar
After watching this episode, you will learn the specific crops that grow without care, as well as some of the microclimates they grow best in. You will learn how to source some of these seeds so you can grow them yourselves without any work.
Referenced/Related Episodes: Easiest & Hardest Vegetables to Grow in 100+ Summer Garden Heat
Top 8 Vegetables You Can Easily Grow in 100+ Degree Hot Summers
10 Strategies You Must Follow to Garden in the Hot Summer Heat
Top 5 Leafy Green Vegetables that Thrive in the Summer Heat 100+
1 Acre Farm in Las Vegas
Watch all GrowingYourGreens Videos at:
Subscribe to GrowingYourGreens for more videos:
Follow John on Instagram at:
Buy John’s Ebook with Healthy Plant-Based Recipes
Recommended Seed Sources:
Wild Garden Seeds
Sow True Seeds
Here are 10 vegetables that can withstand extreme heat and can continue to grow despite the high temperatures:
- Okra – Okra is a heat-loving vegetable that can withstand temperatures up to 110°F.
- Watermelon – Watermelons are another heat-tolerant vegetable that can survive in temperatures as high as 95°F.
- Eggplant – Eggplants are a heat-loving vegetable that can withstand temperatures up to 95°F.
- Squash – Squash, including zucchini and summer squash, can tolerate temperatures up to 90°F.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes are a heat-tolerant vegetable that can withstand temperatures up to 85°F.
- Peppers – Peppers, including bell peppers and chili peppers, can tolerate temperatures up to 80°F.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes can withstand temperatures up to 80°F and are a good choice for hot climates.
- Melons – Melons, including cantaloupe and honeydew, can tolerate temperatures up to 75°F.
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers can tolerate temperatures up to 70°F and are a good choice for hot climates.
- Carrots – Carrots can tolerate temperatures up to 65°F and can continue to grow despite the high heat.
It’s important to keep in mind that these vegetables may not thrive in extreme heat, but they should be able to continue to grow and produce fruit. It’s also important to provide adequate water and care for your plants to ensure they continue to grow and thrive in hot conditions.